11 Ağustos 2009 Salı

Today Post::Marketing WIN

Sometimes instead of criticizing, I like to show an example of a barn that is presenting itself in a positive light on the Web. I’m going to do that today. This link was sent to me and I have to agree - these folks have put some thought into looking like a reputable farm with quality horses that is honest and professional.

Note the following:

- Lots of information about each horse. Pictures, pedigrees, etc.

- RIDING pictures and video. Horses are not merely standing in a field with the written assurance that they ride. You can watch them BEING ridden. If they go hunt and western, you can see both. You do not have to take anybody’s word for anything, or waste your valuable time coming out to see a horse that, it turns out, has not been ridden in five years.

- Videos also show ground manners! Very helpful. You know, it makes sense to cover all the bases. I bet they spend a lot less of their time with people who the horse isn’t right for thanks to being so forthcoming in their videos.

- Riders are appropriately attired. No one is shirtless, wearing a bikini top or in shorts. Youth riders are wearing helmets. I did not watch every video but what I did see had a helmet on every child and I am guessing that is their policy.

- Background looks good - no junk, well maintained. Lovely arena, nice fence, no obvious accumulations of manure. Nothing broken, no trash, nothing unsafe.

- The person jumping Larz rides well enough to jump! He is overjumping but she is giving him a big enough release and looks completely secure. I can look at the horse, not think OMG someone is about to die.

- All sale horses look GOOD. There are no snarly manes, patches of rain rot or ribs showing. No saddles sitting on the withers, no bits on backwards. Someone actually picked up a grooming kit and gave a BATH before taking sale pictures. Amazing, huh?

- Updates on previously sold horses. I don’t know about you, but I feel much better buying/adopting from someone who has recommendations like this from those who have previously done business with them. If you sell quality horses, you should have no problem at all adding a section like this to your website.

No, this is not a perfect example. I did see a few times in the video I watched where little kids were closer than I’d allow to the horse’s back legs while on the ground, and you all know I hate the tarp stuff and the standing up in the saddle stuff. I will say, it doesn’t bother me so much when it’s not the only skill the horse exhibits and the horse can, you know, actually go to a horseshow and win, too. And of course it also depends on discipline. Your buyers will gag at the sight of a tarp if you are selling sport horses - barrel racing and trail clients, not so much. Know your audience and take the time to think about what the things you show on your web site say about your business.

So what have you learned about what is and isn’t effective on your web site? We always talk about good pictures, for example, but what do your buyers tell you caught their attention and convinced them to call and make an appointment to see the horse in person? E-mail me and tell me what has worked for you!


New Mexico folks - here’s a fun show with lots of classes for older equines and older equestrians! I LOVE shows like this. For those of you in the PNW, don’t forget the SAFE show is on August 22 in Graham, Washington. That also has classes for horses 15+ of age and rescue horses.


I received this in e-mail and am happy to pass it along. This is a 1999 Appaloosa mare (may be registerable - pedigree is known and can be seen here). Her owner has terminal cancer and the mare needs a good home. She is not broke but is tame and sound. Pedigree here. Free to a good home, in Ohio. E-mail me for contact information.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder